NON-KSU SPONSORED STUDY ABROAD PROGRAMS
If you have not been able to find a program that fits your needs at KSU, you may consider participating in a study abroad program that is not sponsored by KSU. This can include programs offered by other U.S. universities, companies that specifically offer study abroad programs or becoming an enrolled student in a college or university abroad.
If you choose to attend a program not sponsored by KSU, you will become an outgoing transient student: you will be enrolling in another university and attempt to transfer the courses you take while abroad back to KSU.
The process to receive credit for a non-KSU program is very different from enrolling in a KSU program and there are several things to keep in mind.
* The responsibility for researching non-KSU programs lies on the student. Our education abroad advisors may be able to give some guidance, but you must research and determine the program you would like to attend yourself.
o Kennesaw State University currently has agreements with two study abroad providers that make KSU students eligible for special discounts and/or scholarships. They are Center for International Studies (CIS) and International Studies Abroad (ISA).
o Students may research other programs at IIEPassport.org, StudyAbroad.com and GoAbroad.com.
*Students will be required to complete at least two applications. These include...
o Internal KSU application for outgoing transient students
o Any application required by the program/institution that you choose.
*Transfer credit from a non-KSU sponsored program is never 100% guaranteed. While you will take steps before leaving to help this process, please be aware that you are not GUARANTEED the credit; it will be evaluated by the registrar upon your return and they will decide at that point whether to accept the credit.
o If your transcripts are not submitted by a U.S. institution, it is required that you have your transcripts translated and evaluated. You will then turn in the original transcripts and the evaluation in to our registrar for them to issue transfer credit. This includes an extra cost dependent upon the program.
*You will be considered for the Global Learning Scholarship if all the appropriate documents are in to the Education Abroad Office by the stated deadlines. The deadlines are as follows...
Fall semester: May 15
Spring semester: November 1
Summer semester: March 1
*Typically, financial aid is available for non-KSU sponsored study abroad programs. This is a conversation to have with both your education abroad advisor as well as financial aid.
*Students are required to complete three documents internally for KSU for completing this type of program. These forms will be found in the online application.
Credit Request Form
This form is where you will list the courses that you will be taking while abroad.
1. Fill out the top portion with your personal information.
2. Complete the first column of course title and credit hours using information provided by the study abroad program.
3. Print out course information and bring it to the academic department that would issue credit for that course. For example, if you will be taking a history course in Mongolia, you would take the course description and syllabus to the history department. An advisor there will help to determine the KSU equivalency and sign off in the last column.
4. Continue with the form to all the academic departments from which you would like to take classes.
5. Take the form to your home department to receive approval from your academic advisor and department chair.
6. Bring the form to the Education Abroad Office and we will help you from there!
This is a financial aid form stating that you will not receive financial aid at both KSU and the institution you'll be attending.
1. Complete the top portion with your personal information.
2. Complete the expenses portion using information provided from the program you will be attending. Remember that this should reflect true costs and not just the advertised program cost.
3. Send the consortium agreement to the program/institution that you will be attending and you should be done.
4. The program/institution you are attending will send it back to KSU's financial aid department.
Enrollment Verification Form
This form is to confirm the courses you will be taking abroad and should be completed once you have been registered for courses and know 100% that you will not be switching.
1. Fill out the top portion with your personal information and sign.
2. Your sponsoring institution or company/organization must complete the rest, confirming that you will not deviate from the courses listed.
3. Send the completed document to the Education Abroad Office and we'll take it from there!
This can seem like quite the daunting process, but remember that the Education Abroad Office is here to help! If you have questions, please come during our open advising hours or contact your education abroad advisor.
Open Advising Hours
Monday – Thursday
9am – 4pm